Sid Stores #8 Bar-b-Que section
- Project Number:
- December 17, 1959
- Sid Wallace
- Lafayette, California
- Project Name:
- Sid Stores #8 Bar-b-Que section
One of the first retailers ever to use an architect to design a supermarket, Sid Wallace retained me to design store interiors and the point-of-purchase displays for interior merchandise in his chain of supermarkets. Over the three years, I designed ten projects in multiple stores for him. Sid’s Store, one that he called #8, was cited as the most outstanding supermarket in the US and received wide local and national publicity.
This recognition led to calls from other supermarkets chain owners, such as Purity Stores, Save Mart, and various shopping centers asking me to provide graphic, display, point-of-purchase designs and interiors.
- “Sid’s Newest Has Something for Everyone.” Progressive Grocer March 1962: 52-57.
- “Modern Stores Gallery.” Nargus Bulletin February 1962: 38.
- “The Impact of Color and Design in the Supermarket.” Progressive Grocer December 1961: 59.
- “Dozens of New Ideas in Sid’s Two New Stores.” Nargus Bulletin November 1961: 28-31.
- “Sid’s No. 8 Draws Industry Attention.” California Grocers Advocate 16 May 1958: 20, 21.